Xavi on Philippe Coutinho: “It wasn’t working for him here.”

Speaking ahead of Barcelona’s trip to Granada on Saturday, Xavi Hernández discussed Philippe Coutinho’s loan move to Aston Villa.

“It says a lot about Coutinho that he’s gone out on loan to Aston Villa because he wants to play. He has lowered his salary. He’s a great pro. It wasn’t working for him here, so I think it speaks volumes that he wants to try elsewhere. He wants to succeed,” Xavi said.

The Brazilian playmaker has joined Villa on loan until the end of the season. The buy option included in the Coutinho deal is between €35m and €45m.

According to Esport3, Villa couldn’t pay what Coutinho was asking for and agreed to cover 65% of his wages. On the remaining 35%, which Barça had to pay, Coutinho agreed to cut it from his salary and therefore he will only be paid by Villa.

More European Football News