According to the data released on Friday, Real Madrid forward Karim Benzema received a total of 549 votes to win the 2022 Ballon d’Or ahead of Sadio Mané (Liverpool/Bayern Munich), who came second with 193 votes, and Manchester City’s Kevin de Bruyne, who came third with 175 points.
Benzema is the second oldest player to win the award after Stanley Matthews (1956), according to Diario AS. The Frenchman is 34 years and 302 days old.
Benzema won 549 votes from the panel of 100 experts who conducted the voting. He beat Senegal’s Mané by 356 votes and Belgium’s De Bruyne by 375 votes. The top five was completed by Barcelona striker Robert Lewandowski, who received 170 votes and Egypt’s Mohamed Salah with 116.
Ballon d’Or Top 10:
- Karim Benzema (Real Madrid): 549 votes
- Sadio Mané (Liverpool/Bayern Munich): 193 votes
- Kevin De Bruyne (M. City): 175 votes
- Robert Lewandowski (Bayern/Barcelona): 170 votes
- Mohamed Salah (Liverpool): 116 votes
- Kylian Mbappé (PSG): 85 votes
- Thibaut Courtois (Real Madrid): 82 votes
- Vinícius (Real Madrid): 61 votes
- Luka Modric (Real Madrid): 20 votes
- Erling Haaland (Borussia D./Manchester City): 18 votes