Who will capture La Liga’s last spot in the Europa League?

With the league title wrapped up, all the attention in Spanish football turns to who will capture the coveted spots in the table which will allow them to play European football next season.

The fight for the top four and entry into next season’s Uefa Champions League is all but done. Barring any dramatic turn of events, Real Madrid, Barcelona, Girona and Atlético Madrid will be playing in Europe’s top table next season.

The fight for entry to the Europa League is still ongoing however, as although Athletic Bilbao have all but confirmed their place in Europe, Real Betis and Real Sociedad look set to fight for the last spot in the competition.

According to Spanish football statistician @2010MisterChip, Real Betis have a 60% chance of finishing in the final Europa League spot whilst Real Sociedad have a 40% chance.

This leaves Real Sociedad with a 50% chance of finishing in a Conference League spot, while Betis have a 37% chance of doing the same. Valencia are outsiders to secure a place in the relatively new UEFA competition, with a likelihood of 10% to do so.

The match of particular interest when it comes to that final Europa League spot will be the showdown between Real Betis and Real Sociedad in Seville next Sunday, as the winner could very well be the team that books their ticket in the Europa League next season.

GSFN | Ciaran Currie

More European Football News