Barcelona’s potential European nightmare

Barcelona stand to lose €20.2m if they are knocked out of the Champions League at the group stage, according to AS.

“We have sent a message to the world,” said Jordi Cruyff, in a statement after the team’s 2-0 defeat to Bayern Munich in Munich on Matchday 3. Club president Joan Laporta said to the members during Sunday’s Assembly: “We have saved Barça”.

Barça have sold off assets worth €865m in order to invest €160m in signings (Raphinha, Jules Koundé, Robert Lewandowski, Pablo Torre). New contracts were also handed to Ousmane Dembélé, Ronald Araújo, Sergi Roberto and Gavi.

AS reported last week, after the defeat in Milan, that Barça are now on the verge of losing up to €52.7m in prize money (9.6 million for making the round of 16, €10.6m for reaching the quarter-finals, €12.5m for reaching the semi-finals, €15.5m for being a finalist and €4.5m for winning the competition). For a club that has made a hefty investment over the summer, that would be a tough blow. Falling to the Europa League was not the plan at Camp Nou. They have tasted Europa League football in recent times and were not impressed.

Laporta reportedly expressed his anger with Xavi Hernández on Wednesday night after the 3-3 draw with Inter. The pressure is now mounting on the Catalan coach and club. “It’s out of our hands now,” Xavi said after the Inter match.

GSFN

Get Football+

More European Football News